The American Council to Advance Medicare for All (ACAMFA) is a not-for-profit educational corporation that was formed to address three problems:
- Our healthcare system is broken
- Alternatives to our healthcare system are poorly understood
- Ways to improve our healthcare system are poorly communicated
Our seasoned team with years of hands-on experience in healthcare and business is able to fill these gaps through our thorough working knowledge of how our current system works, what makes it not work and how a less complex healthcare plan can affordably provide what we need. (Find out about us.)
How can this work? See for yourself and read our full comprehensive analysis or take a quick look at our executive summary or brief outline.
Our healthcare system used to work but it's now too expensive. That's why the idea of Medicare for All was born. At ACAMFA, we have found that Medicare for All is a less complex alternative that is achievable and affordable for everyone. We have tools to help explain the path to that goal. We want to empower your voice so Medicare for All will solve your healthcare needs. We need your support! Help us spread the word. Contact us to tell us what you think or to volunteer, sign up for our email list, or donate today!
First let's cover those three problems.
- What's wrong with our current system? Our current healthcare system isn't working for anybody. It's too expensive for individuals, for businesses and for government. And it's too complicated for both patients and providers. It's putting pressure on drug companies to lower prices and large corporations are looking for alternatives to private health insurance as a way to cover their workers. And even with the most expensive system in the world, the quality of care in the US is worse than in other advanced countries.
- What other options are there?There are a lot of plans right now for improving our system. The two most popular are single payer plans (like Medicare for All) or mixed plans that have options for large roles for private and public insurance (often called a "public option"). There are no proposals in the US for a national health service like the one in the UK, where the government runs the healthcare facilities. These basic differences between plans are much more important than the differences in details between plans. Single-payer plans have the potential for the most savings by decreasing the cost of administration and providing more leverage for decreasing waste than public option plans. Public option plans involve less change and may offer some valuable short-term benefits.
- Why is communication about our options so poor?There are two bills that have been introduced in the current Congress called Medicare for All, one in the House and one in the Senate, and many more that call for some type of public option (see side-by-side comparison). The names of the bills are confusing, and the goals are different. Some provide answers to some problems but not others. And it can be hard to tell what some of the bills will do because some of them lack details and sometimes the results are just hard to know. Here is what you need to know:
o Standard Medicare cuts down bureaucracy for doctors and patients and allows patients to choose their own doctors—that’s why new options emphasize Medicare.
o Medicare for All plans eliminate copays, deductibles and other out-of-pocket expenses. These are not effective ways to cut costs and they keep a lot of people from getting the treatment they need. They use better methods to control costs, like decreasing administrative expenses. Public option plans don’t make significant changes to out-of-pocket costs or have methods to control costs. They could help many with inadequate health insurance coverage.
o Medicare for All plans take billions of dollars of healthcare costs away from local government, saving taxpayer dollars now spent on premiums for health insurance coverage for government employees that is often inadequate for their needs. Public option plans don’t change local government costs.
back to top